Lecturer, Department of Liberal Studies
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
NTID Liberal Studies
Faculty Type (Tenure Status): Non-Tenure-Track Lecturer
Faculty Rank: Lecturer
Employment Category: Fulltime
Anticipated Start Date: 01-Aug-2020
DLS provides English, humanities, and social science courses to 1,150 deaf and hard-of-hearing students with varied levels of reading and writing preparation. We host an associate degree program in Applied Liberal Arts. Our department welcomes talented candidates who will provide inclusive and culturally responsive experiences for our domestic and international students using American Sign Language. The successful applicant will be creative, team-oriented, and eager to contribute to the growth of our curriculum and to the success of our students.
Detailed Job Description
The Department of Liberal Studies (DLS) in Rochester Institute of Technology's National Technical Institute for the Deaf invites applications for a non-tenure-track lecturer position starting August 2020. We seek applicants with a graduate degree in English, Applied Linguistics, Communication Studies, Composition Studies, Deaf Education, Second Language Acquisition, or related field in the humanities or social sciences, with training and experience teaching English to deaf and hard-of-hearing students, as well as knowledge of Deaf pedagogy, language acquisition, and Deaf culture. Applicants should be bilingual (fluent in both American Sign Language and written English).
Select to view links to RIT's core values , honor code , and diversity commitment .
Required Minimum Qualifications
• Master’s degree in English, Applied Linguistics, Communication Studies, Composition Studies, Deaf Education, Second Language Acquisition, or related field in the humanities or social sciences with an emphasis in the teaching of developmental English.
• Proficiency in American Sign Language and written English
• Prior experience teaching and/or tutoring English as a second language to deaf and hard-of-hearing students at the secondary or post-secondary level
• Currency in the field of Deaf Education and Deaf pedagogy
• RIT/NTID is committed to creating an accessible, supportive environment and an educational experience that recognizes diversity and cultural competence as integral components of academic excellence. Candidates who can contribute to that goal through scholarship, teaching, and service are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.
Required Minimum Education Level
Required Application Documents
Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae or Resume, List of References, Sample Syllabus, Statement of Diversity Contribution, Statement of Teaching Philosophy, Writing Samples
How To Apply
Apply online at http://www.rit.edu/careerzone. Search 5104BR.
Please submit your online application, cover letter, CV, and upload the following attachments:
• Statement of teaching philosophy
• 1 writing sample
• 1 sample syllabus
• List of 3 references with contact information
• Statement of diversity contribution
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please include each of the required parts of the application.
The direct link to this posting can be found here: https://apptrkr.com/1819305
The hiring process for this position may require a criminal background check and/or motor vehicle records check. Any verbal or written offer made is contingent on satisfactory results, as determined by Human Resources.RIT does not discriminate. RIT promotes and values diversity, pluralism and inclusion in the work place. RIT provides equal opportunity to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, marital status, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in its hiring, admissions, educational programs and activities.RIT provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities under the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the New York Human Rights Law, or similar applicable law. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to your application for employment at RIT, please contact the Human Resources office at 585-475-2424 or email your request to Careers@rit.edu.
RIT does not discriminate. RIT is an equal opportunity employer that promotes and values diversity, pluralism, and inclusion. For more information or inquiries, please visit RIT/TitleIX or the U.S. Department of Education at ED.Gov.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted in: Job Opportunities