National Technical Institute for the Deaf
NTID Counseling & Academic Advising Services
Employment Category: Fulltime
Staff Job Function:
Provide personal counseling, career counseling, academic advising and consultation to NTID (National Technical Institute of the Deaf) supported students who are deaf and hard of hearing in a college environment following the American Counseling Association (ACA) Code of Ethics.
Detailed Job Description
NTID Student and Academic Services recruits and hires Counselors/Academic Advisors (CAA) at different levels of experience and skill in its career ladder:
• Counselor/Academic Advisor OR
• Senior Counselor/Academic Advisor OR
• Assistant Director
Salary and Placement in the career ladder and assignment will be determined by experience, professional licensure, certification, and skill proficiency level.
• Provide personal and career counseling and academic advising to assigned caseload students.
• Consult with faculty, staff, parents, vocational rehabilitation advisors and others as appropriate.
• Complete timely documentation for all students following departmental guidelines and maintain accurate counseling and academic advising records.
• Participate in counseling/advising department meetings, academic department meetings, and committee meetings.
• Engage in professional development activities.
• Initiate regular supervision.
• Serve as a guest lecturer and conduct presentations as needed
• Teach programs as needed
• Other duties as assigned
Required Minimum Qualifications
• Master’s degree in counseling, psychology, social work or a related field
• Two or more years of professional counseling, academic advising or career counseling work experience
• Sign language proficiency
• Excellent computer skills/MS Office Suite
• Excellent communication skills, including writing and presentation
• Strong organizational skills
• Demonstrated ability to multitask
• Knowledge of mental health, psychological and developmental issues of a Deaf/Hard of Hearing population required
• Demonstrate sensitivity and awareness to diversity
• Demonstrate sensitivity and awareness to a variety of communication modalities
Required Application Documents
How to Apply
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: http://careers.rit.edu/staff. Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter the title of the position or the BR number.
The direct link to this posting can be found here: https://apptrkr.com/2193684
Rochester Institute of Technology, the 10th largest private university in the U.S., is among the world’s leading technological universities. Its 18,000 undergraduate and graduate students from all 50 states and more than 100 countries are enrolled in over 200 academic programs, including 7 interdisciplinary Ph.D. programs. A pioneer in experiential education, RIT was the first to offer undergraduate degree programs in biotechnology, information technology, software engineering, and microelectronic engineering. As home to the National Technical Institute for the Deaf, the university offers unparalleled academic opportunities and services for the deaf and hard-of-hearing. Founded in 1829, RIT has 115,000 alumni throughout the United States and around the world. RIT has been named by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the “Great Colleges to Work For.” RIT is a National Science Foundation ADVANCE Institutional Transformation site, and is responsive to the needs of dual-career couples through the Upstate NY Higher Education Recruitment Consortium. For more information, visit http://www.rit.edu/overview/rankings-and-recognition and http://www.rit.edu.
As a member of the RIT community employees receive a well-balanced benefits package that offers a variety of choices and access to additional employment advantages. These benefits, combined with an employee’s pay, provide a total compensation package that can be tailored to meet your needs. More on RIT’s Benefits, Health & Wellness program can be found at: https://www.rit.edu/fa/humanresources/content/benefits-health-and-wellness
RIT does not discriminate. RIT is an equal opportunity employer that promotes and values diversity, pluralism, and inclusion. For more information or inquiries, please visit RIT/TitleIX or the U.S. Department of Education at ED.Gov
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted in: Job Opportunities